Monday, May 13, 2013

Disruptions: Even the Tech Elites Leave Gadgets Behind

Some couples who work in tech seem to be trying to step back the most. “At least once a month my wife and I jump in our car and drive until cell service drops off (yes, this is possible) and spend the weekend engaged with all things analog,” Evan Sharp, a founder of Pinterest, said — on e-mail. “We read, we walk all over the California hills, we cook, we meet people who don’t work in technology.”

Other couples have told me of a “no gadgets in the bedroom” rule. (Kindles are sometimes an exception.) Some say they leave their phones at home when they go for Sunday brunch. Rather than take a picture of their bacon and eggs to post to Instagram, they can now enjoy each other’s company, and do that strange thing called talking.<
Yes please. I certainly am one who thinks folks spend far too much time in their phones and completely ignore the rest of the world. Particularly annoying when you're on a "date". At first I thought it was simply that I was uninteresting, but I think we have a growing set of people who cannot devote the attention necessary to maintain a conversation.