Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Disappearing shows

Fully a week into basic cable and Boxee I feel compelled to discuss the problem of the disappearing shows and movies. Yesterday it was reported on how Hulu on demand from FX, pulled all past episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which cause a great deal of grief to Hulu users. The consensus seems to be that FX wants people to purchase the DVD set. Not that I watch Sunny but really this "buy the DVD" thing is in my opinion silly. When I saw the price for the box set of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. I passed on it. I have the choice of watching re-runs on cable and sit through commercials or buy a box set and perhaps be motivated to pop in a DVD. Or I could watch it via boxee (if it were available) commercials and all, at my convenience, without having to store a DVD, case and all or a ripped version on my NAS (taking up valuable storage capacity). Of course since I can't get DS9 on Boxee or any other legal means on the net, I simply don't watch. Lost money for Viacom. Speaking of DS9, Where is Star Trek on Hulu or Joost or Boxee? Seriously people. Yes the classic ones are there but I want my DS9, TNG and Voyager please.

Now previously I had found Spenser for Hire on AOL tv. Then not two days after finding it did it disappear. Now I've found it on Joost via boxee, though it's missing many episodes (but has no adverts).

In the end, these companies need to realize that internet delivery "on demand" is the future. With products like Boxee, I don't care whether they are in a Hulu or a channel branded site. So long as I can access it through the TV set I'm satisfied.

No comments: