Monday, November 28, 2011

Dear Babyface

Dear Babyface

a long time ago you released an album called "Tender Lover". It was 1989, I was either in high school or college. Didn't matter. I wasn't a lover, yet, so all those songs were fantasy to me. Anyway back then I thought "Soon As I get Home" was The Shit (tm). I don't know why. Well the music was the bomb. Still is. Those lyrics? That's a whole other story.

Back when I was 17 and stupid I thought that whole "Soon as I get home from work" was like an instruction manual. No lie. Not having a father around to set you straight on these things can do that to a youngster. That whole provide for your woman thing was something I vaguely identified with so that concept made sense. Besides, the last song I recall talking about the rent, went something like "nothing goin' on but..". However; since my only concern at the time was room, board, classes and why my then very long distance girlfriend was never home when I called. I didn't quite understand the gravity of the lyrics in your song. I'm older now and listening to this track causes me all kinds of head shaking. Let me explain.

Let's go over these lyrics.


Hey, come here for a second
I don't like the way he treats you
He doesn't deserve you
He really don't


I suppose this line works for you. I think LL did that in his "Loungin'" track

Anyway it's not that it's bad, but cliche. Really.

What kind of man
Would leave you standing in the cold
Must've been a silly one
To sacrifice a pot of gold
You're the kind of woman
That needs a man that's always there
It's not that you require a lot
Just need some tender love and care


Hmmm...Perhaps they had an argument. I dunno. Didn't I hear LL do this one too? Anyway I want to focus on this "Pot of gold" thing because sir, we will need to revisit this line.

I give good love
I'll buy your clothes
I'll cook your dinner too
Soon as I get home from work


You swing good dick. Ok. I think every brother has used this line. But that's not the really offending line.

"I'll buy your clothes?"

What?

What?

Not that you'll buy her *some* clothes. You just said you'll buy her clothes period. Negro please. Don't you know that folk don't value what they don't earn?

"I'll cook your dinner too
Soon as I get home from work?

What kind of role reversal nonsense is this? Since apparently YOU are the one going to work; 'cause I didn't see anything about what employment she came from, YOU are going to come home after working all day and cook her food? Excuse me sir, exactly WHAT was this lazy heffa doing all day while you were out buying her clothes and working?

I'll pay your rent
Your faithful lover
Soon as I get home, soon as I get home from work


You'll do what?

Please explain to me how you're coming home from work, with clothes you just bought, all ready to cook dinner and it's not your place.

Explain that one to me?

Why the fuck are you doing all that shit AND paying the rent on a place you don't live in? So after all that shopping, cooking and rent paying you're supposed to go home to somewhere else? Explain this to me.

For all that it's worth
I give good love (good love, good love, good love, good love)


And after ALL that you still have to claim to throw a good dick? I do not understand. Really.

You're the kind of woman
That needs a man with lots of cash
With a stack of major credit cards
And with me you don't have to ask


Do this "pot of gold" apparently needs a man with a lot of gold. I'm dying with laughter here.

Babyface. Look. With all that you wrote here it should be clear why some man left her "out in the cold." Clearly it was a trap for a sucker like you to up and find so you could do everything for this "pot of gold". See, you asked in the opener "What kind of man..." and stated that "he must have been a silly one." Let me suggest that If you don't see that your working all day, come home and cook, buy her clothes, pay her rent and throw the dick, to some lazy heffa who's entire day consists of taking the credit card stack at will for God only knows what. Then you sir are the silly one, not the supposedly now broke and bad credit having fool that left her out at the bus stop (or wherever you saw her).

Anyway. Now that I have revisited this song I just want you to know that it's been removed from my favorite slow jams playlist. I see why it was so popular back then. Pandering is always a good way to move units but damn...this is some low shit. Even for 1989.