Monday, May 12, 2008

the $80 oil change

You know, up until Feb, I had two 20 year old cars. I do most of the maintenance myself. I do the regular oil changes, fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor, etc. I haven't paid for an oil change in many many years. So yesteday I go to Speedly lube No. 99 to change the oil on a recently aquired Z3. The manufacturer apparently specifies synthetic oil. That joint ran my $80 bucks.

On top of being charged for the oil, they tacked on some 10 buck extra for doing a synth change. Oh did I mention that one jackass there broke my interior door handle and didn't even have the decency to say so? Last time Speedy Lube No. 99 get's my car, either one. Oh and then there was the unasked for car wash. I hand wash my car because I don't think putting a convertible through a car wash is a good idea but there it was on it's way down before I could stop them. Oh and the final straw being they reset the service interval light. Did anyone ask to have the service interval light reset? No. Apparently no one at this place has been told about how the service interval light on BMW's are for things other than oil changes. All I wanted was the oil change and I said so.

Now I'm not sure whether the previous owner had done synth changes before, but given that I'm going to need to change out the oil when the temperatures stay above 60 degrees (in the next month). I'm not happy to think I'll be tossing this oil I just paid for, for a heavier mix and I think I'm going to forgo the synth since as stated I have a 20 year old that has never seen synth oil and runs just fine thank you.

$80 oil change indeed.