Thursday, October 4, 2007

Shifting Habits

Ny times auto blog about manual transmissions:

At first everyone in the conference thought he was joking. He wasn’t. His magazine isn’t a car magazine, so there’s no professional reason for him to know how to drive a stick. But I’d always thought it was a basic life skill, like rock, paper, scissors, and shuffling cards. I’d always taken it for granted.
Seriously though, Most automatic tranny drivers I know are lazy and have really bad driving habits. They ride their brakes... Oh yeah, you got to do that to keep the car from moving while in drive...right. Look, I want the car to move when I want it to move. I want to brake when I choose. I want to hold the engine at whatever RPM I choose. I want to disconnect the engine from the tranny when I want to. Get it? When. I. Want. To.

I don't care about how fast the computer can shift. I like the hand, foot, eye coordination.

No comments: