Friday, November 2, 2007

MaemoMapper V2 is out for N800/N770

MaemoMapper is available here


This is the first release of the 2.x version of
Maemo Mapper. It focuses on increased
functionality at the cost of some CPU efficiency.

Major upgrades include a database-driven map
repository, rotating viewpoint, GPSD compatibility,
and new POI functionality.
See the changelog for the (mostly)
complete list of changes.
I drove cross country with only this app as a guide and it was great. Only gripes were that the route database went down a couple of times so I had to use my laptop to get route info. Also I discovered that if the GPS unit went out of range MM would crash. This apparently has been fixed though I haven't tested it yet.

While my maps are downloading (into a new database rather than single files in many, many directories) I'm noticing heavier CPU usage as well as slower screen redraws. This was noted by the author so I'm not going to complain yet. The ITOS 2008 will be boosting the CPU speed on the N800 so that may help with some of the CPU usage. If there is better power management to go along with the CPU boost then I won't be too worried about charge time.

Overall, if you have an Internet Tablet you need to get this app. If only I could get my iFoney to work with DUN properly I'd be set.

Oh yeah. MaemoMapper is really high on the list of reasons why I have not purchased an iPhone. Many of the apps I have on my N800 are dispensable or have equivalents on the iPhone but this app has no equivalent.

[update] I just tried it out on the road. Having "up" always be the direction of travel is the way navigation is supposed to be. It may be small mental calculus to determine if you need to make a left or right, but when traveling at speed that small but of time can be the difference between arriving and not arriving.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: