Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Mac Mini in a Corvette

A Mac Mini has been installed in a Corvette.

I was going to do the same thing but I have a 1987 (man. 1986) 635 CSI that would have needed extensive mods to get a screen put in. I finally managed a Sony DVD player with a 7" tilt screen, but THAT (and the amp) was a monster to install which includes a now unhinged glove box. I can still put a computer in the car but my recent acquisition of the N800 with it's mapping functions has kinda made that unnecessary. Besides and unfortunately the "shark" has a bad rust problem and may not be with me too much longer so more investments may not make sense.
First was an oddity, every time the Mac mini booted the system volume level was set to 50%. I wanted iTunes volume and the system volume set at 100% all the time in order to provide the right volume control on my head unit. With both of these volumes at 100%, the volume control on my head unit was a normal ratio of graphical bars to decibel output. With the Mac mini’s volume at 50% however, I had to crank the head unit volume to reach listening levels.
I have this particular problem with my system. The Sony unit I have came with an XM adapter which I discovered was the only way I could connect my iPod to the unit. On a side note it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to use the XM controls to control the iPod. THAT was fun. But the input is very low and have to crank the volume 3/4 in order to get decent sound. regular FM radio is much better. This actually revealed another problem which is that I am running the stock amp close to it's max rated current since whenever the headlights are on and the bass goes boom, the lights will dim.

No comments: